Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bistik Trio


I've grown up eating bistik in Indonesia. The word came from Dutch biefstuk which means beef steak. The version we had at home is so different from regular beef steak. It is a mix of beef fillet and potatoes cooked in kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce), regular soy sauce, garlic, shallot, and grated nutmeg. Ofcourse, in Indo, we eat potatoes with rice.

My version accomodates the busy and the lazy as usual. Mixing the beef with lots of tomatoes and tofu as veggie substitute (Bistik Trio of Beef, Tomato & Tofu Puff), so I didn't have to cook the veggie separately. It saved me a LOT of time, which was productively used to watch more TV (enjoyed The Heartbreak Kid yesterday night) and grow myself on my sofa. lol

Ingredients
- HK$25 beef for stir frying
- HK$3 tofu puff
- HK$2.50 tomatoes
- finely chopped garlic, thinly sliced shallot (shallot vs garlic ratio = 2 to 1)
- kecap manis (Indo sweet soy sauce, I can't live without this) & regular soy sauce (kecap manis vs regular soy sauce ratio = 2 to 1)
- chopped chilli (remove seeds)
- a little corn starch + water
- olive oil

Marinate beef in kecap manis, regular soy sauce, a bit of corn starch while prepping the other ingredients. Saute beef with a bit of shallot and garlic, set aside. Saute shallot, garlic, chilli, add tomatoes, tofu puff, add kecap manis, regular soy, add beef, heat up everything. Serve with steamed rice.

I didn't manage to get my lazy bum to the store to get nutmeg powder, so my version had to go without. Still tasty though :)

...and...I am submitting my Satay Beef Ramen for Presto Pasta Nights. Enjoy!


Check it out & join the fun!

13 comments:

tigerfish said...

I only tried the duet (beef + tomatoes) before. Trio is new to me :)

Anonymous said...

Aduuh hidanganmu enak enak yak ... Nyammmiii... juga dessert2nya ...

Unknown said...

tigerfish: actually the list can go on and on and on...don't stop at trio hehe

judith: ahhh seadanya aja kok...aku sering maleshhh kekeke

Jagungmanis said...

pastaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

test it comm said...

Bistik sounds tasty!

Unknown said...

deet, ayo tho melu, kowe kan kerep masak pasta

hi kev! we eat this a lot when we were young (and look at wat we've become) good stuff eh lol

daphne said...

Trio is new to me! but this look really tasty.

Elsye said...

kekekekek kayaknya kecap manis ga pernah lupa ya..:P *samaa aku juga*

Unknown said...

els, abis ini aku mo ganti foto profile kalo gak pose sama kecap manis ya sama teh botol WA-HA-HA!

Rita said...

Hai Rit, wah genk semarang juga toch????? kok ga ono SB 'ne? dadi ra iso ninggal pesen jeh....

Kajal@aapplemint said...

never tried this with tomatoes. I'm sure this must be so juicy n succulent.

Anonymous said...

In the Philippines we have a similar dish called "Bistek Tagalog"...which is beef steak sauteed in soy sauce, kalamansi (our local lemon/lime), and lots of sliced onions :)

Unknown said...

hi joey, i must loveeee bistek tagalog, let me try in a filipino eatery here (i hope they are authentic)