Friday, March 28, 2008

Grilled Choco Bananas


Bananas are good for us. Full of vitamins and a good source of potassium (that's until I am done with them and turned them bad. LOL)

I miss the bananas generally found in Indonesia, especially the big ones (pisang raja), perfect for banana fritters/other sweet snacks. Since I couldn't find those here in Hong Kong, I had to settle for these small ones (just about 10-12 cm long), they have the most similar texture and taste to the ones I wanted. Perfect. They just need my magical touch to make 'em sinfully yummy in no time.

Preheat oven to 200C. Simply peel the skin off, slice 'em in half, lay them on oven tray, slather them with butter, and sprinkle some chocolate (chips, powder or rice bits) generously. You can also add a mountain of grated cheese (this is how we normally do them in Indonesia), bake until golden brown. I dusted some chocolate powder onto them. Perfect for afternoon tea time. :)

Submitting this for Weekend Herb Blogging, which is hosted by The Houndstooth Gourmet this week. Enjoy! :)

10 comments:

Jacky Chow said...

Yeah.... !! dessert again !!
hahaha........ :P
"Pisang raja" ... I found its photos in web. Look really fat....
I know why you said the one you bought in HK is small.....
.....
um... Banana would melt easily in high temperature but you make it well.... well done!!!
In chinese, we call that banana as "大蕉" - means "big banana". ^.^ I have no idea why we call it "big". When I was a child, i get confused.
.....
Banana is good for people with high blood pressure. My mother bought a LOT recently. so many !!

Unknown said...

hi jacky! haha you only like dessert postings ar? hmm these mini bananas are also a kind of pisang raja...but just about 10-12 cm long...bb bananas :) there are "emperor banana" in hong kong, but they are normally sour...so i use these mini ones.

these ones don't melt when grilled...but the normal ones you find in supermarket will. :)

banana is good for those with high blood pressure, but i think not these grilled-with-butter-full-of-chocolate ones hoho

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

This sounds completely awesome! I'm always looking for new ways to use up my bananas!

SIG said...

That looks delish. Will try one day when have the chance.

Dwiana P said...

hey hey hey..... ini pisang dimasak kayak gini selain simple juga rasanya yummy!!

Elsye said...

kayaknya mesti dicontek nih Rit...qiqiqi, simple booww tapi pasti sedapp...:P

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds very delicious. I'm intrigued by the idea of putting grated cheese on them!

Unknown said...

hehe this one is easy....so worth trying...the key is in the banana type....pleaseee please pleaseee don't use the normal ones as they will get mushy...

dwiana ama elsye ayo bikinnn hehehe pisang bakar kan ini...sayang aku ga ada bakaran pake charcoal hehe

Anonymous said...

Grilled Choco Bananas?!?

Home run!!

Wonderful!

KyotoFoodieのPeko

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Oh god that looks so good. I like to fry bananas in butter and sugar until the sugar caramelizes. I'll have to add chocolate next time.