Thursday, March 6, 2008

Miso Fried Rice & My Dirty Dirts


Feeling a bit Japanese? I bought a pack of miso for just HK$10 at Jusco 10 Dollar Plaza last week. Instead of using it as soup base for ramen/udon, I decided to use it with Indonesian national staple, RICE :) (The real reason is, I don't have any ramen/udon on hand, so, rice it is. So much for creativity. hehe)

Ingredients
(serves 4)
- 2-3 tbsp of miso paste, dissolve with 2-3 tbsp of water, add 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 cups of overnight rice
- 1 ball of lettuce, sliced thinly
- HK$15 ground meat (I used porky pig)
- soy sauce
- 1 stalk of spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- cooking oil (I use olive & sunflower mix)


We added shredded lettuce for the extra crunch (OKOK. I give up. I'll tell you the real reason: I was too lazy to cook a separate dish of vegetables)

On a hot wok, saute ground meat with soy sauce, set aside. Saute some of the chopped spring onion with a bit of oil, stir in the rice, add miso sauce, add lettuce (you can add the lettuce the last if you like it super crunchy, almost raw), crack egg, mix well, add the rest of the chopped spring onion, serve.

I've been tagged by Michelle of Greedy Gourmet, and I've posted my reply on my alter ego blog, Living La Vida Rita. Check out my dirty dirts there. LOL

Oh, and Jaden of Steamy Kitchen shared how dinner related decisions were made in her household, I couldn't help myself but shared my dirt in this area too (this was posted as my comment in her blog):

Decision Making Process
me: so who's gonna cook tonight?
xx: you, i have no idea, no inspiration, nothing
me: ok, we're having beef then
xx: beef..ok, how will u do the beef?
me: saute with blablabla
xx: ok, sounds good, i'm gonna cook it
me: wat the!! #@$@$@##!!! tat was MY idea!!!
xx: no! tat was MY idea!!!

----at the supermarket-----
me: so, we're getting beef eh? will$25 be enough?
xx: yeah, no no make it 30
me: look at those braided chicken chops, only $10!!!
xx: wow!!!!!! and they are NOT expired!!!
both: ok we're having chicken chops tonight

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

dunno about you but adding a nice piece or two of tomatoes to my fried rice can really make my day..I'm glad you got your version with tomatoes..mmm...

A.G said...

kl pgn liak mbokne berkunjung ke Multiplyku..linknya ada diblogku ;) di MP tempat narcisku hihi...skg malah jarang di MP :) suka ngeblogspot

Elsye said...

Ritt ini rasanya gimana, pake misou pasta....hihihihi...gue ada dirumah misou pasta tapi ga pernah kepikirian b ikin nasgor...:)))

Unknown said...

hi jase, i loveee tomatoes...it gives the necessary touch of freshness, but on this fried rice...the two heart shaped pieces were just plain corny eh? lol

yin...hehehhee i will DEFINITELY check you out! mbokneee mbokneee...ciitt cuwiittt

hi elsye, it tastes asin-asin gurih...plus wangi miso hehehe...simply fragrant and tasty, try try yokk?

A.G said...

side bar tulisane my multiply...sak deret kr link teman2 ;)

Anonymous said...

Miso in fried rice? Great!! We'll try it , promise.
BTW- We mentioned you in our newest video!!

Jagungmanis said...

weh, nasgor...
aku yo pek nggawe ah...
wes ndek wingi kepengen, tapi rung sempat gawe

test it comm said...

I have never thought of using miso with rice. I like the idea and I will have to try it.

Unknown said...

hi yin, okok ntar aku cari hihik

hi WoRC, thanks for stoppin' by...aww really? really? really?cooollll!!! i'll definitely check it out uh-huh uh-huh (doin my little morning dance)

deettttt, sometimes i miss nasi goreng tek tek huhuhu...apalagi yang campur, nasi-mie-kwetiaw goreng tek tek, tidak pake sayur (wahahaha, jangan dicontek tidak sehatnya)

Unknown said...

hi kev...miso paste is super super versatile. i've just done more things with it yesterday, will post later hehe...try it with pasta or grilled seafood, maybe? :)

tigerfish said...

When I don't feel like rice, I substitute with noodles!
When you don't have noodles, you subsitute with rice. It all works as long as the base dish is tasty, right?

Unknown said...

hi tigerfish...yeah...i just gotta have my carb hehe...i think miso is very versatile. i love its scent ^_^

Kitty said...

I love miso, but never have any idea how to use it in my own kitchen....rice is a great idea!

Unknown said...

hi kitty, i think miso can be used on almost anything :) can you get miso paste easily?

Kitty said...

yup, I always see it in the store, just never buy it. I grew up cooking Italian, so get befuddled by Asian ingredients, but I really want to learn. I always order miso eggplant at a local restaurant, I'd like to figure out how to make that so I dont have to pay $7 for a piece of eggplant.

Unknown said...

hi kitty. wow $7 for an eggplant dish!! hehe i am sure it is doable at home. aw, it is cool to grow up cooking italian, i grew up eating white rice + sweet soy sauce + prawn crackers, hihihi.YUM. too bad tat dish is not much to fill a blog *grin*