Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Beef & Chicken Franks in Spicy Tomato Sauce: Jerks & Hot Jerks


Sometimes I fancy myself as an omnivore. But to be honest, not really. I am really a meat lover. I do admire vegetarianism, though. Be it for health reasons, religious reasons, other noble reasons I can't think of, I-wanna-be-cool reasons, I-just-follow-my-bf/bff/boss reasons (i.e. I-have-no-opinion reasons), or I-am-only-vegetarian-on-the-record reasons. HAHA! For what it's worth, it shows self control and I have none :p

I'd like to share a personal vegetarian encounter, though. My friends and I had a super bad experience with one. Someone we knew, who is a hard core vegetarian and a noble religious practisioner (a wannabe?), is super mean to others. We aren't talking about mildly cunning here...but pure evil. Mean, mean, mean. We always wonder if this person has to be mean to human beings to compensate being so nice to animals (by not hurting/eating them)? ^_^

However, no worries. I don't generalize. I believe that it's one isolated case, and there are so many great vegans in this world, despite the jerks....which I found in a Taiwanese snack shop LOL:

...and girls just love bad boys...so, here are the HOT vegetarian jerks, wait until the tops come off ;)

I think enough jerks for today, aye? Let's move on to my love for meat. Most of my dishes contain meat. They are the star, and the fruits and veggies are the supporting actors/actresses. They could do an award winning performance, but I paid the tickets to watch the star. Hehehe.

Here's another favorite hearty dish. Easy, quick, and always satisfying:

Beef & Chicken Franks in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Starring: Nicely Marbled Beef & Sliced Chicken Franks
Supporting Actors: Sliced Tomatoes, Garlic, Shallot, Chilli, Soy Sauce, Sweet Soy Sauce, Pepper, Ketchup, Sambal ABC (ABC Indonesian chilli sauce)
Extras: parsley flakes, olive oil, a bit of butter

Brown chicken frank slices, set aside. Saute garlic, shallot, chilli in olive oil with a bit of butter, add beef and chicken franks, pour sauces, cook through, garnish with parsley flakes.


If you like this, you might also like my Bistik Trio

PS. If I had to be a vegetarian, I might weigh a gadzillion lbs, as I could see myself compensating the lack of meat with truckloads of carbs ^_^

12 comments:

daphne said...

I have never seen so many "jerks" in one place before. hehe.

Compensate with carbs huh? Bet u can come up with even more ways of cooking with it!!

Rita said...

I am vegetarian (don't want to see animals killed type).... But as you can see in my blog, I cook lots of meat for my sous chef....haha...

Anonymous said...

I've had a few encounters with that type of vegetarian too... it always makes me want to go out and buy a steak.

Anyway, this actually looks good! I've never thought of using franks in any other way than just in a bun.

Little Corner of Mine said...

I didn't know there is such thing as vegetarian mushroom jerk, thanks for sharing!

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

I really like this post! LOL.

=D

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I tried being vegetarian once, but had to convert back too.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

The computer ate my comment!

What I meant to say was I tried being vegetarian once, but had to convert back. I don't think I was mean to anybody during that time. ;)

These franks look great: I love the spicy tomato sauce. You do know how to dress up humble franks.

Elle said...

mmmmm, I'm hungry and that looks divine...

Sorry about your jerky hard core vegetarian encounter!

CECIL said...

i just lovee reading your post! :) i have always thought about whether i have the will to be a vegetarian and it strucks me that no way, no how that i can say no to rendang, pangsit, pepes ikan, ...and everything else. heeehee.

Anonymous said...

I have never met any true vegetarians yet. Hubby prefers greens but he also likes meat. Me, I prefer to devour meat! :)

Anonymous said...

hahahahahha, what a funny post :D When I read "Jerks & Hot Jerks" in the title, I roughly guessed what was coming ;)

tigerfish said...

Hahahaa....not all jerks are bad but some are "more bad" than others! LOL!