Thursday, December 3, 2009

Spicy Stir Fried Beef with Chinese Preserved Vegetable


Initially, I was absolutely terrified by the idea of moving into the same apartment complex as sous chef's parents.

My fears:
- SC's parents forcing us to dine at their place at ALL TIMES
- Being caught dining out = endless complaints
- Impromptu visits/inspections when my flat is at its record-breaking state of mess
- Unsolicited comments about various living conditions/lifestyle

etc...

However, it turned out to be the best thing ever!

- As they're so near, we could drop by for dinners whenever we want, they never had to force us!
- The closest place = the safest place
- Impromptu visits at the messiest prompted them to help cleaning the flat (woohoo!)
- Comments went into left ear, went out of the same ear, never made it to the other side :)

This easy stir fried beef with chinese preserved veggie dish is one of my favorite dishes from sc's parents.

Recipe
- 1/2 lbs beef, sliced thinly
- 1 pack of Chinese Preserved Vegetable (jar choi = 炸菜)
- a couple of red chilli, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- dark soy, sugar, white pepper, corn starch, olive oil

Marinate beef with a bit of dark soy, sugar, white pepper and 1 tsp corn starch for at least 15 minutes. In a hot frying pan, saute garlic and chilli with a bit of olive oil, add marinated beef, add preserved vegetables, adjust seasoning if necessary, serve with steamed rice. Spicy, sweet, sour, savoury, smoky...all in one dish!

It's quick, easy, homey, Chinese comfort food at its best.

At sc's parents place, dinner is served on a large round table lined with newspaper...just in case you missed the news. Since I don't read Chinese, I normally prefer to be seated around the bikini/celebrity gossip section of the newspaper :D

As we speak, SC is making a phone call to request for dinner at his parents' tonight :D

6 comments:

Nuttymeg said...

Oh yeah I like this too, my mum makes this all the time, I love preserved veges!

Peter M said...

That beef looks mucho succulent...save a seat at the table for me...incoming gwei-lo. ;)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha, so they really lined the table or the floor with newspaper when eating yeah? I saw that on drama. :P This dish looks delicious!

Mrs Ergül said...

This is like comfort food!!

tigerfish said...

I line my dining table with newspapers too...hahahha! It is the only time I take a good look at advertisements page.

pigpigscorner said...

This is so simple and so tasty! Great with rice!