Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sausage & Cheese Savoury Pancakes


Love pancakes to death, but I just can't have only sweets for breakfast...but pan frying eggs, bacon and all the savoury frills would be too troublesome for my lazy ass. My lazy solution is...to throw savoury bits in and make savoury pancakes ^_^

These may look like ordinary sweet pancakes...

Wait 'til you get to see what's inside...

Recipe
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tsp dry mixed herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano, sage)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 1/2 cup chopped sausages (I used Maid brand cheese cocktail sausages)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, wet in another. Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, mix well, add chopped sausages and grated cheddar cheese. Heat up a non stick pan to medium heat, pour a ladleful of batter, (butter/oil isn't necessary for non stick pan) pan fry until you see bubbles and the edges dried out a little, flip, let cook for a bit and transfer to a plate. Repeat until all the batter's done. Serve with butter and if you like sweet-savoury flavor combo, maple syrup ^_^

Fluffy pancakes with savoury bits...


My kinda weekend breakfast ^_^

The sausage pieces are only visible from the butt of the pancakes :D

Have a great weekend, everyone!

16 comments:

Joanne said...

Did you put maple syrup on them! Because that to me would be the ultimate. Sweet and salty.

eliza said...

your pancakes look so perfect! I bet they're super tasty :)

Jagungmanis said...

waaaaa ritong.....
aku gelem kui savoury pancakes. mesti enak...
tapi orak usah nganggo sirup mapel e.. hehehe

Aimei said...

yummy! I would love savory pancakes for a change too.

Rachelle said...

I'm the exact opposite...can't NOT have something sweet :P

Have you heard of the McGriddles? This reminds me of that, except obviously yours would be a thousand times better, being homemade and with REAL ingredients and stuff.

And if you like the combo of salty/sweet, there's this place in Kowloon City that does satay beef in HK style French toast which is soooo decadent!

test it comm said...

I just discovered savoury french toast and now it is savoury pancakes! I recognize that tin of maple syrup in the background.

smilinggreenmom said...

Yummy! We love pancakes made with Kamut Khorasan Wheat flour since it is full of so many vitamins and minerals. Besides that, they have an amazing flavor and texture! Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

You put sausage in your pancakes!?
I think i love you. But you knew that already.
That's one lucky bun! I didn't get that kind of breakfast when i was a bun. At least i don't think so. :P

Anonymous said...

Oh woooww interestinng!! Never tried making savoury pancakes at home before! yuummm

and where you wrote "Heat up a non stick pan to medium heat, pour a ladleful of batter," I read that as pour a ladleful of butter the first few times hahah

Noob Cook said...

wah love your tower of savoury goodness. creativity to the max :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

What a great idea to add in the sausage!

Delishhh said...

WOW - i never thought of putting that inside my amerikan pancakes. Sounds really good though. I am sure it would be amazing in crepes too.

tigerfish said...

I can't say enough how I enjoy sweet and savory combination ;p

daphne said...

How cool! I gotto to give this a go one day. Thanks for sharing!! Perfect for our sunday lunches.

zoom yummy said...

Yum - those look irresistible. Gorgeous! :) Petra

EatTravelEat said...

Me gusta mucho este plato! :)

It's just like chili cheese fries but this time with mashed potatoes. You are a genius.

Savory pancakes? I had waffles today :).