Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tom Kha Steamed Fish

Tom Kha Steamed Fish
It's been a while since I shared a lazy and tasty food huh?

One of my recent lazy tasty discovery is....using instant seasoning mixes (bumped up with fresh herbs and spices) to steam fish!

I can't believe I haven't done this earlier. Very easy, and it offers more variety of flavor combos when I am bored of the classic soy sauce or black bean steamed fish. I used tom kha instant seasoning mix this time, but I've also tried tom yum, opor, and rendang. All yummy! I will surely try more flavors...welcome to the world of endless instant seasoning possibilities!

If you hate using instant seasoning mixes (I bow in respect to you), feel free to grind your own paste using fresh ingredients, it could be as quick as a few pulses in a food processor, and I am sure it will be as tasty, if not tastier ;)

Tom Kha Steamed Fish
Ingredients
Fresh herbs & spices (you can omit all of these fresh herbs and spices if you are feeling lazy)
- a stalk of lemongrass, cut into sections and bruised
- galangal, bruised
- some kaffir lime leaves, cut thinly
- 1 or 2 red chillies, cut thinly

Main ones
- 1 of your favorite fish, cleaned and pat dry
- 1 pack of your favorite instant seasoning mix (I used Tom Kha)

Rub the fish with instant seasoning paste, scatter the fresh herbs and spices on top, and steam until the fish is just done.

Check the doneness by inserting a chopstick into the thickest part of the fish, the chopstick should go through easily, mine took about 10 minutes. Now I am really just saying stuff to make this "recipe" look longer...actually it is really one-sentence easy ^_^'

Experiment, enjoy and share!

9 comments:

Noob Cook said...

I am all for using instant seasoning mix in cooking kekeke... tasty and time-saving :p

mochaccinoland said...

me too! i'm all for instant seasonings and premixes!!! :D the fish looks really yummy!

Little Corner of Mine said...

I'm all for easy too because if I grind my own paste, I will have to wash the food processor. :D

tigerfish said...

Heee heee.. count me in for instant seasonings! Love the Thai-infused flavors of this steamed fish.

Joanne said...

With a dish as pretty as this, I don't care WHAT you put on it...just pass a fork!

daphne said...

I use a mixture man! anything that makes life easier.. haha

Babe_KL said...

Wishing you and your family a very happy, prosperous and the best of health for this coming lunar new year. Xin Nien Kuai Le!

country life said...

That looks soooo good! :)
Kim

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I love this idea! Tom kha fish sounds wonderful. You don't have to use a mix, just take all the tom kha ingredients and steam a fish with it. Although, I guess that takes more work. :P